It was awesome. I was only there for three days and two nights due to finals. Claire came along with me. The Campbell Family never fails. I loved being with my family again in our somewhat-homeland. Dublin itself was pretty overpriced - more expensive than Londo! - but rich in history, especially Literary history, and full of interesting characters.
On Saturday morning, we arrived in Dublin and were at our hotel, the Shelbourne (most comfortable beds ever!) by noon. We ate, then went to see the Book of Kells and the sculpture that is best known to me as the Golden Snitch from Harry Potter on the Trinity College campus, where my cousin Kevin once studied. The library was by far my favorite part of the campus, although a bit ostentatious, but it was cool nonetheless to see books that had been there since the 1700s, that people like Jonathan Swift and Oscar Wilde would have looked at to write their theses.
The best hotel EVER!Okay, so after that we walked around the Temple Bar district and went on the "Halpenny Bridge" which apparently used to charge only half a penny to get across? IDK, ask M.Camp.
After that, we came back for dinner, then my sister and Claire and I met up with Aaron, who was also in Dublin visiting his brother, as well as Claire's two friends from Florence that I had met in Belgium, named Hope and Clara. It was fun, and since Temple Bar district proved to be too much for us, we ended up at a smaller pub on a side street where we encountered true Irish culture. There was a huge rugby game that had just been played, and everyone was celebrating. There was this man:

Who were were told was a famous rugby player by a table of people next to us that were somewhat nice but didn't quite enjoy the fact that we were Americans. As you can clearly see, he is having problems functioning. As the night progressed, he became more incoherent and the crowd surrounding him became more Irish, singing songs all the while and celebrating their win. Then, the table next to us turns and explains that he might be the brother of the famous rugby player, or indeed nobody famous at all. It was pretty funny, since we had been stalking/monitoring his progression all night.
A picture of Claire and the Campbell girls
After that, we came back for dinner, then my sister and Claire and I met up with Aaron, who was also in Dublin visiting his brother, as well as Claire's two friends from Florence that I had met in Belgium, named Hope and Clara. It was fun, and since Temple Bar district proved to be too much for us, we ended up at a smaller pub on a side street where we encountered true Irish culture. There was a huge rugby game that had just been played, and everyone was celebrating. There was this man:

Who were were told was a famous rugby player by a table of people next to us that were somewhat nice but didn't quite enjoy the fact that we were Americans. As you can clearly see, he is having problems functioning. As the night progressed, he became more incoherent and the crowd surrounding him became more Irish, singing songs all the while and celebrating their win. Then, the table next to us turns and explains that he might be the brother of the famous rugby player, or indeed nobody famous at all. It was pretty funny, since we had been stalking/monitoring his progression all night.
A picture of Claire and the Campbell girlsOn Sunday, in Dublin, my ever-knowledgeable father took us to a legitimate Horse Market. It happens the first Sunday of every month in Dublin, and it was mind-blowing to see. People were selling everything from horses, to their cages, to pigeons, to roosters, to probably children.. Gaelic was everywhere and the accents were thick. I think it was pretty off the beaten path, and worth it to experience something so uniquely Irish.
Look at the Horsies.After that, we headed to the Jameson Distillery since it was within walking distance. It was probably one of the most interesting and educational experiences of my life, the tour was set up so well. My parents volunteered to be the "taste-testers" at the end of the Experience, which meant they got to enjoy three shots (plus more) of whiskey and tell the Distillery just how good Jameson is.
From there, we met up with Aaron for a good Italian lunch at a place my father had read about in the NY Times. It was so far removed that the people who worked there hadn't bothered to pick up the issue in which their restaurant was mentioned. It was quite good, a little awkward, but perfectly relevant. After that, we walked back towards Christ Church, a cathedral in Dublin that was beautiful. Unfortunately, we couldn't go inside but Claire snapped this:

Then, Allie went shopping for Katie's shower while my parents went back to the hotel, so we went to the park that was right near the hotel named St. Stephen's Green. You had to walk through an Arch to get to it, just like Marble Arch and Hyde Park, which it reminded me a lot of. It was so much colder in Ireland than England, but we were lucky in avoiding the rain and seeing the green.
St. Stephen's Green; reminiscent of the Serpentine in Hyde Park?
NOT Marble Arch
From there, we met up with Aaron for a good Italian lunch at a place my father had read about in the NY Times. It was so far removed that the people who worked there hadn't bothered to pick up the issue in which their restaurant was mentioned. It was quite good, a little awkward, but perfectly relevant. After that, we walked back towards Christ Church, a cathedral in Dublin that was beautiful. Unfortunately, we couldn't go inside but Claire snapped this:

Then, Allie went shopping for Katie's shower while my parents went back to the hotel, so we went to the park that was right near the hotel named St. Stephen's Green. You had to walk through an Arch to get to it, just like Marble Arch and Hyde Park, which it reminded me a lot of. It was so much colder in Ireland than England, but we were lucky in avoiding the rain and seeing the green.
St. Stephen's Green; reminiscent of the Serpentine in Hyde Park?
NOT Marble ArchThen we went out to dinner and went out again. Not such an interesting pub experience this time, but it was still fun.
On Monday, first we saw St. Patrick's Cathedral. It is the flagship Cathedral of Dublin and we met a nice tour guide who was quite informative, if almost boring, but she was awesome nonetheless. I had a brief scare that I lost my wallet so I didn't enjoy the tour as much as my parents, but gleaned what was cool out of the experience. Jonathan Swift was ironically the Dean of St. Patrick's for a latter part of the eighteenth century, which was more rooted out of political power than it was religion. I liked learning about him; J.Swift is one of my favorite figures ever and quite mysterious, I took a class called Rise of the Novel this past semester and my tutor was quite obsessed with him so I learned more about his personal life than I care to remember. Anyway, he is buried in a tomb in the church.
After, feeling quite religious we did the mecca of all brewery tours: THE GUINNESS TOUR!!!
I am joking, but only slightly. The Gunness Brewery is HUUUGE! It is also geared entirely towards men and I could write a good paper about that, but it was pretty amazing to see so much fascination, dedication, pride and effort put towards a beer. I don't particularly have fond memories of Guinness due to some experiences over St. Patrick's Day, but that worked to both my father's and Aaron's advantages throughout the trip.
The coolest part of the Factory was the Gravity Bar on top, which offered a 360 degree view of Dublin and had mirrored tables. It was cool!
On Monday, first we saw St. Patrick's Cathedral. It is the flagship Cathedral of Dublin and we met a nice tour guide who was quite informative, if almost boring, but she was awesome nonetheless. I had a brief scare that I lost my wallet so I didn't enjoy the tour as much as my parents, but gleaned what was cool out of the experience. Jonathan Swift was ironically the Dean of St. Patrick's for a latter part of the eighteenth century, which was more rooted out of political power than it was religion. I liked learning about him; J.Swift is one of my favorite figures ever and quite mysterious, I took a class called Rise of the Novel this past semester and my tutor was quite obsessed with him so I learned more about his personal life than I care to remember. Anyway, he is buried in a tomb in the church.
After, feeling quite religious we did the mecca of all brewery tours: THE GUINNESS TOUR!!!
I am joking, but only slightly. The Gunness Brewery is HUUUGE! It is also geared entirely towards men and I could write a good paper about that, but it was pretty amazing to see so much fascination, dedication, pride and effort put towards a beer. I don't particularly have fond memories of Guinness due to some experiences over St. Patrick's Day, but that worked to both my father's and Aaron's advantages throughout the trip.
The coolest part of the Factory was the Gravity Bar on top, which offered a 360 degree view of Dublin and had mirrored tables. It was cool!
Unfortunately, shortly after the tour we had to depart back to London. I really didn't want to leave. I haven't traveled like that since before coming to Arizona probably, and it was so nice to see my family. I missed them so much more than I expected to; I don't mean that to sound half as bad as it does, it's just I am used to not seeing them for months upon months due to my distanced life. But I really enjoyed my time with my parents and sister and it made me that much more excited to get home.
May 6 was my last final, which I think was nothing spectacular despite days of studying, but Postmodern theory just doesn't hold a candle to a weekend in Dublin. Life since school has ended has been quite nice. My friend from Paris, Emma, came here this past weekend which is worth a blog update in itself, and led to a fun weekend ending spectacularly on 4 pounds worth of the best vegetarian Indian cuisine I have had yet. Today I went to Harrod's then on a run in St. James' Park then to South Kensington. It was eventful, but I need to keep an eye on my money situation. Such is life. I pretty much have finalized everything with Kelly for Barcelona and CANNOT WAIT to go! I am also generally just excited to see her. I feel like there is a lot in London that I want to do, and since Claire is departing for the good ol' US of A this Saturday, we will try to fit as much as possible in. It's so weird to me that she is leaving already but at the same time, I understand a desire to head home. I am anxiously awaiting my own re-entry, but can't wait for what's going to happen in the meantime! In six days, Kelly arrives, in seven days I turn 21 (although not too excited for that; what is it about birthdays?/I have been reaping the benefits of being 21 for a long time now), in eight days I'm heading to ESPANA and in twelve days I'll be saying goodbye in my own slow way with my best friend by my side to the city I have come to love. The beat never stops, which is something that has truly been solidified for me here, and I will do my best to keep you faithful readers posted.
Also, I have made a conscious effort to take more pictures of my life in London, so expect another entry with that. I get as sick remembering these travels as you probably do reading about them!
I hope all is well wherever you are in the world.
With love,
Cheers,
C












No comments:
Post a Comment